Information, Questions, & Curiosities
Which Instrument should we learn?
Where do we get one? Buy it or rent it? Here's our thoughts on one of our favorite topics.
- an instrument in good working order and its case, (for a percussionist that’s sticks and a practice pad)
- if it’s a woodwind: cork grease, extra reeds, and a swab, (saxophones and bassoons need a neck strap)
- if it’s brass: valve or slide oil, tuning slide grease,
- if strings: don’t forget the bow and rosin, an extra string set is handy,
- the music: the Essential Elements method book (provided and handed out at rehearsal),
- a portable / foldable sheet music stand to use at home when practicing,
- a folder for holding sheet music, and lastly
- a stand to hold the instrument securely when it has to be left unattended (bathroom breaks).
How often should I practice? When should I practice? How long should I practice? What should I practice? Find out what we recommend!
Ingredients for a Great Wind Ensemble
What does it take to be an awesome wind band? Click below to find out!
Unheard of Saxophones
Explore a world of weird and unusual saxophones!
Three Key Elements
The Circle of Fifths
Want to know more about this mysterious fusion between plane geometry and music theory?
Ever get confused by some of the strange terminology we use in class? Here is a nice visual representation and explanation of what we’re talking about!
Twenty Good Reasons to Major in Music at College
Is studying music at the college or university a good idea? What does a person do with a degree in music?
The New Members' Welcome Handbook can be viewed with just a click. Lots of helpful information is contained within!
Meet the Instruments!
Starting Beginning Band, but don't know what instrument to play? Come meet the instruments courtesy of the US Army Band!
Can't find something? Need to speak or contact a real person? Click the button to see all the ways to reach someone.
Keep us penciled in on your calendar with all the important classes and events.
Where to Go
Let us introduce ourselves. View our history, and see who we are.
Learn about what we do and how we do it
All the reasons one will ever need to learn music!
Tired of reading and ready to go? Click the button!
Click here to support NHME with a tax-deductible contribution or to pay tuition online!
"Excellence is never an accident. It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, and intelligent execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives – choice, not chance, determines your destiny."
Click the button below for a description of our classes.